Gas Technician 1 Training Program
This complete training program was approved
by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) in June 2007 for use by any accredited training facility
in Ontario to meet the stringent requirements for certification
as a Gas Technician 1 (G.1). The G.1 certificate allows the holder
to work on any input of natural gas or propane appliance.
TSSA G1 Approval Letter
The training program material includes four binders:
1. Gas Technician 1 Manual: This 3” binder has over 700 pages of information and graphics organized in the following chapters:
- Chapter 1: Commercial / Industrial Installations
- Chapter 2: Commercial / Industrial Appliances
- Chapter 3: Commercial / Industrial Burners
- Chapter 4: Valve Train Configurations and Components
- Chapter 5: Electricity for Gas Technicians
- Chapter 6: Appliance Controls
- Chapter 7: Flame Detectors
- Chapter 8: Flame Safeguard Control Basics
- Chapter 9: Flame Safeguard Control Specifics
- Chapter 10: Combustion Setup
- Chapter 11: Initial Activation and Troubleshooting
- Plus four CDs with 3 Gigabytes of manufacturer’s instructions for commercial/industrial gas equipment
2. G.1 Lab Manual: This 2” Binder has chapter titles corresponding to the Student Text but includes detailed practical exercises that the student completes during the lab sessions which make up approximately 40% of the course. It also includes over 1000 review questions to test the students’ understanding of the theory information presented in the Student Text and to prepare them for the TSSA exam at the end of the course.
3. Appliance Binder: This 1” Binder also has chapter titles corresponding to the Student Text but includes detailed research exercises on an appliance type of the student’s choosing. The student conducts this research by answering questions and gathering information on an appliance fired at over 400,000 Btuh. The student becomes intimately familiar with an appliance type that he or she will be working on as a G.1 and has a binder of valuable information at the end of the course.
4. Instructor’s Guide: This package actually consists of two binders. One binder is entitled “Instructor’s Lab Manual” and mirrors the student lab text except that it includes answers to all the review questions and the lab exercises as applicable. The second binder entitled “Instructor’s Guide to the G.1 Program” includes annotated PowerPoint slides for each chapter along with lecture notes, equipment lists, resource material, scheduling suggestions, and other training tips.
NRG’s Gas Technician 1 Training Material can be used as a resource by individuals and instructors or as an “off-the-shelf” complete program to training residential gas technicians to work safely, effectively, and efficiently on commercial industrial gas appliances.
The program has been employed by NRG Resources and other training providers between 2006 and mid 2007 to successfully train almost 100 gas technicians to work on commercial/industrial gas installations. Every student has achieved a G.1 certificate and all have praised the program (see Testimonials).
The cost of the training material is as follows:
- Student Package including the Student Manual, Student Lab Manual, Appliance Binder. Sold only to accredited training providers under agreement with NRG Resources ………….$300.00
- Instructor’s Package including all three texts in the Student Package plus the Instructor’s Lab Manual and the Instructor’s Guide. Sold only to accredited training providers under agreement with NRG Resources ………….$500.00
- Individual Package includes only the Student Manual but with review questions at the end of each chapter and an answer key. It is an ideal resource for technicians currently working on commercial/industrial appliances or those who wish to challenge the G.1 certification requirements as per TSSA’s procedures. …………………..$250.00
NRG Resources also offers training equipment for use in G.1 courses (See Training Equipment)
Please contact us for more information on how NRG Resources can serve your G.1 training needs.
If you are having troubles with our pdf files please download the lastest version of the FREE Adobe Reader HERE.