About G.1 Gap Course
If you cannot meet the TSSA requirement for 500-hour hours of work experience on appliances with an input exceeding 400,000 Btuh under the supervision of a G.1, this course is an alternate method of meeting that prerequisite, so you can attend a G.1 Course.
TSSA has authorized NRG Resources to offer a G.1-GAP course recognized as the equivalent to the 500-hour prerequisite under the direct supervision of a Gas Technician 1 certificate holder required for enrollment into a G.1 training course.
Upon completion of this course you are required to enroll in a full G.1 course within 18 months. Failure to do so voids the approval to use the G.1 Gap course as the equivalent to the 500-hour prerequisite. The G.1 Gap course cannot be used to challenge the G.1 training requirements.
Our G.1 GAP course does not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005. Contracts under this arrangement are signed by third party payers/employers and not with the general public.
You must hold a valid Gas Technician 2 certificate and be actively working in the industry. Be able to provide proof of 3,500 hours of work experience as a Gas Technician 2 by the completion of the full G.1 training course.
G.1 Gap Course Outline
Topics for Study
- Review of the TSSA Act and Regulations regarding G.1 work
- Gas Piping System for Industrial and Commercial Applications
- Valve Train Components
- Commercial/Industrial Burners
- Commercial/Industrial Appliances
- Venting and Air Supply
- Appliance Controls
- Flame Safety Controls
- Combustion Setup
Successful Completion Requirements
- At least 90% attendance (100% expected)
- A mark of 75% or greater on the exam written on the last day of the course.
- An average score of 75% or higher on the practical exercises conducted throughout the course.
A Record of Course Completion is issued by NRG Resources Inc upon successful completion of the course. This document states that you have the equivalent 500 hours required to enrolling in a G.1 course. This letter must be presented to the Training Provider upon enrollment into a full G.1 course with 18 months of completing the G.1 Gap Course. This document is not valid for challenging the G.1 training course.
- One G.1 Gap Course is offered per calendar year.
- For 2019, the course will be held on: October 19 to 26 and November 23 to 30, 2019
- For 2020, the course will be held on: October 17 to 24 and November 14 to 21, 2020
Sixteen days (125 hours) in two 8-day sessions (Saturday to the following Saturday) with four weeks between sessions. Includes theory, practical, and final exam.
Tuition – $2400.00
Manuals – $200.00
B149.1-15 Code Book with Act and Regulations & amendments inserted– $260.00
B149.3-15 Code Book with all applicable Regulations & amendments inserted– $140.00
Total Cost if you have the current codes = $2400.00 plus 13% HST + $200 plus 5% HST = $2,922.00
Total Cost if you need both the Gas codes = $3400.00 plus 13% HST + $600 plus 5% HST = $3,342.00